It seems like such a great deal. FREE FONTS. I think “Wonderful, I can find a new font for this project I am working on and it will have a whole new look and feel.” Then I go around and do some of my favorite inspiration finding and I see the font I downloaded over and over again. This is how the discussion goes. Why buy fonts when there are so many free alternatives?
For a while I was the amoeba I didn’t feel one way or the other about the situation. Downloading free fonts, using fonts that were installed on my computer. But now I am firmly decided on my opinion. I think when you are looking for the perfect font for your composition using a free font is just too common. People put a lot of work and effort into creating a font. I want to reward the people who made the effort to produce good quality type.
I really like how a font that isn’t free seems more unique even on simple projects. I am gearing up to purchase my second font and cannot wait. To illustrate the differences here are two posters I am working on one with a purchased font and one with a free font.
Belinda – purchased
Apple Chancery – installed on my computer
Futura – installed on my computer
Bellerose – free
New things are coming to the blog I hope you are as excited as I am.
Have a great week!
For the last couple of days….(maybe a week or more) I have been needing a mental vacation from everything. I like to think that I work hard I work almost full time during the day, during the evenings I try to practice graphic design, blogging, and photography. On the weekends when I am not cleaning I try to do even more learning and practicing. I guess after a year and a half it all caught up with me and I just needed a break. Well here we go I need to get myself out of this so I have decided that I am going to create some photo layouts for use in collages or on blogs. I have seen really wonderful examples from around the web and am armed and ready to produce photo templates. I plan to make them very user-friendly and maybe down the road will provide them for download. I have been experimenting with the process and if you go back through some of my recent posts you will see an example of my photo templates.
I have never been one to keep a journal, to record my daily life in a diary or post tweets every 2 minutes about the sandwich I am enjoying. Something changed in 2011 when I moved into my apartment and started looking around online for DIY decorating ideas. I found a whole world in the blogosphere I didn’t know about. The Crafters, the DIYers, the decoraters, the cooks, the list goes on and on; after months of reading and thinking and enjoying I wanted to try it. I brought my dusty old blog which started out much like a diary and I am string to rework it building it up with post about things that are of interest to me. I thought it would be nice to pay hommage to the blogs that I have enjoyed reading and which have inspired me the most.I love discovering new bloggers to read and my list is ever changing here are my most recent top 5.
1. A Beautiful Mess – Everything this girl does inspires I hope that I can craft my blog into such a beautiful place of personal expression as the writers over here.
2. Pugly Pixel – I really enjoy how she shows you inspiration from the real world and takes it into the graphic design relm. Her tutorials are easy to follow and fun to read.
3. Pioneer Woman – I want, I want, I WANT her lodge kitchen and pantry. I think I could craft beautiful meals like her if I had that kitchen. She offers lots of information on photography another topic I am passionate about.
4. Indie Jane Photography – She has a blog filled with very inspiring portrait photography. I love her use of the great outdoors and the sun to make images that feel fun.
5. Hair Romance – I am a sucker for trying new hairstyles and she has a lot of really fun looks in her ebook.
I hope you all enjoyed this list and had a great weekend with family and friends.